Window brand Marvin has debuted a new fully assembled pop-out glass unit that creates additional indoor space as well as give homeowners more access to light.
Marvin says the product is the first of its kind in the U.S. building industry that’s available fully constructed and suitable for a wide range of projects.
“In modern life, we spend a lot of our time indoors,” says Paul Marvin, the company’s CEO. “Marvin is a company that has always focused on improving our experiences in our homes and the spaces around us, and we believe we’re in a unique position to impact how we harness light, views and air in new ways.”
One of two new products the company introduced at Construction Week 2020 in Las Vegas, the Skycove, Marvin says, is an “immersive” glass alcove that deliver light in an entirely new way. The company also introduced the new Awaken smart skylight that offers automatic venting and embedded LEDs.
“Both completely new concepts, designs and constructions, they deliver on the company’s purpose to imagine and create better ways of living, giving homeowners new ways to connect and experience light, air and their environments,” the company adds.
The Skycove is a fully constructed glass pop-out structure that expands interior space and provides a comfortable, cozy place able to comfortably seat one or more people to extend functional living space.
Skycove key benefits:
- Connection: It offers sightlines under 3 inches (including vertical posts), create a seamless connection to the outdoors and more light than traditional openings. The cantilevered structure provides unique, elevated vantage points and the top glass opens the view to the sky above.
- Space: Carefully selected sizing makes the space comfortable for one or more. The integrated bench offers 16 to 20 square feet of usable space, extending the home’s footprint.
- Modern aesthetic: A minimal, geometric aesthetic and glass on all sides offers more panoramic views than a traditional bay or bow window.
- Flexible design: An aluminum interior provides a clean aesthetic, and its seating bench can be finished to suit any home style. The frame includes a built-in recess for shade solutions if more privacy is desired.
- Comfort: Carefully chosen and tested materials, bottom insulation, high-density fiberglass exterior, and dual or optional triple-pane glass. Low E3 glass is standard to reduce solar heat gain.
- Performance: The steel structure is independently certified and designed to hold a heavier load than the average outdoor deck without additional structural support. A 4-degree sloped, flush-glazed roof with waterproofing flange protects the structure from water infiltration.
- Worry-free installation: Arrives on the job site fully assembled. Installation takes less than a day and no additional pieces or parts are required.
Marvin says both the Skycove and the Awaken skylight were developed in its new Design Lab “following extensive research generating insights from professionals in the industry, homeowners, and unexpected sources like astronauts, sleep scientists and Danish hygge experts.” The Design Lab, the company adds, is charged with understanding people’s desires based on insights and creating innovative products that meet those needs.
“These new to market products were born out of insights into how people want to live, a desire for spaces where we can clear our minds and recharge from the busy, fast-paced and digitally connected world we live in,” Christine Marvin, vice president of strategy and design, explains. “They say seeing is believing, but in this case, experiencing is believing.”