Building products manufacturer Johns Manville says its new Cavity-Shield is a formaldehyde-free fiberglass batt insulation that can be used in the concealed spaces of multifamily buildings as an alternative to sprinklers.
When installed per the NFPA 131, the company says, the product eliminates the need for sprinkler systems within concealed floor spaces, saving construction time and money and eliminating long-term maintenance and water leaks.
“Johns Manville is committed to ensuring customers have the product options available matched to their specific needs, and we recognized an opportunity to create an alternative fire protection product for customers with Cavity-Shield insulation batts,” says Mandy Schweitzer, senior product manager at the company.
The noncombustible fiberglass batts are made up of long glass fibers bonded with thermosetting resin. They are designed for use in concealed spaces between floors, “serving as a passive fire solution for limiting potential flame spread between and through floors,” the company explains.
Aside from the fire-protection, Cavity-Shield offers other benefits. According to the manufacturer, additional product advantages include the following:
- Simple installation: Batts are friction-fit into cavities, without the need for special equipment, reducing installation time and resources.
- Smart engineering: Available in a wide range of thicknesses, Cavity-Shield can be easily cut with a standard utility knife to fit in any cavity size.
- Cost-effective alternative: Cavity-Shield is another option for construction professionals looking for passive fire protection and a cost-effective alternative to blow-in or sprinklers in the interstitial space.
- Durability: The product will not rot, mildew, or deteriorate.
- Formaldehyde-free: It promote higher indoor air quality and environments, while also limiting exposure to harmful volatile organic compounds that could cause health problems.
- Sound control: Cavity-Shield offers the same acoustical reduction benefits between floors when compared to other JM insulation products.
"Offering a batt product that combines passive fire protection with the high-quality standards customers expect from Johns Manville, allows for flexibility in project options, ultimately saving both time and resources,” Schweitzer says.
The products is available now.