Washington, DC — The International Code Council recently released the 2021 International Water Conservation Code Provisions (IWCCP). This resource provides the best and most comprehensive tool for the design, installation and administration of potable and non-potable water conservation and efficiency systems.
“The world needs a much greater sense of urgency about water scarcity and the IWCCP gives governments the tools they need to have a real impact in conserving water resources,” said Code Council Chief Executive Officer Dominic Sims, CBO.
The 2021 IWCCP contains all the water conservation and hot water energy-saving requirements from the I-Codes for both residential and commercial occupancies including provisions from the International Green Construction Code (IgCC) and International Energy Conservation Code (IECC). The Code Council’s Plumbing, Mechanical and Fuel Gas I-Codes are a vital part of a complete building system. Their usage allows for communities to stay current with the latest building technologies while meeting the public health, sanitation and safety requirements necessary for the built environment.
“The adoption of water conservation practices is essential, as they not only aid communities in tackling water scarcity but also lower utility expenses for both homeowners and businesses while reducing our carbon footprint,” said Mark Johnson, Code Council Executive Vice President of the Content and Services Group and President of RESNET. “With the 2021 IWCCP, industry professionals will have a comprehensive and valuable resource to establish efficient water conservation systems in commercial and residential settings.”
The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), National Association of Builders (NAHB) and the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET) supported Code Council efforts toward incorporating technical requirements into the 2021 IWCCP. The resource includes the following standards:
- The International Green Conservation Code, powered by ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES 189.1-2020 Standard for the Design of High-Performance Green Buildings
- Excerpts from the ICC 700-2020 National Green Building Standard
- ASABE/ICC 8052-2020 Landscape Irrigation Sprinkler and Emitter Standard
- ANSI/RESNET/ICC 850-2020 Standard for the Calculation and Labeling of the Water Use Performance of One- and Two-Family Dwellings Using the Water Rating Index
- “The 2021 IWCCP is an excellent tool for industry professionals to ensure that water conservation and efficient systems are established in large multi-unit residential and commercial buildings,” said 2023-24 ASHRAE Treasurer Bill McQuade, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, LEED AP. “These systems are crucial not only for achieving cost savings, but also towards our goal of realizing a sustainable and water-secure future.”
“Home builders will enjoy the operational efficiency provided by the new comprehensive water conservation provisions,” said Alicia Huey, chairman of the NAHB and a custom home builder and developer from Birmingham, Ala. “Water conservation is an increasingly important consideration for home builders and buyers. This new publication will make it easier to take additional steps to incorporate water conservation in residential projects.”